Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The elephant in the room

Today, my 5 yo son who has some autistic sort of qualities. . . dislikes physical touch, can't do imaginary play very well(at least that we SEE), doesn't get humor very well, and he doesn't play all that great with other kids. . . had a big moment. He came in the kitchen while I was cooking and had on the elephant costume. He said, (hiding his face in the hood and waving the trunk around), I am an elephant -- pet me mommy!!! He was playing with his sister(who was dressed as a dinosaur.) They had a crazy big animal chase through the livingroom. And he pretended TONS of stuff! I was so excited. I can't get the dumb computer to post pics right now but when I do I will show off my cute little "elephante"(that is the spanish word-- see? We ARE learning Spanish. Today, I see Dios es Bueno. God is so very good. Just when I feel overwhelmed and at the end of my rope, (esp with this boy!) and feeling there is no fruit, He shows me a little. And I have to smile. Mommy, pet me. NEVER thought I would hear those words from him.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Amazing Hezra :) So often we look for God to move in big ways, but it is in the quiet moving of GOd in the little things of our personal lives that impact us the most, that shows us just how much we are loved. :) thank you for sharing.

anymommy said...

It's always so wonderful to see them progress in any way, isn't it? Hurray for pretend play.

It was a pleasure to 'meet' you today!